Friday, June 12, 2009

Welcome!

Weddings have become a pleasant obsession of mine.

Color schemes, themes, dresses, flowers, table linens, gorgeous venues, abounding guest lists; I love it all! i mean I simply go head over heels, mad cap crazy for weddings. No detail is too small; no color is off limits, and no theme is too outrageous.

It began with my older sister’s wedding earlier this year in March. She and her husband planned the wedding themselves, and it was so uniquely them. I had never been intimately involved with a wedding before then and now I can’t imagine why not! The beauty of the day just sweeps you away into a gilded bubble of food, fun, music and the many splendored thing: Love.

It wasn’t until after the wedding that I discovered the craftier side of planning an event to remember. I have since become a veracious reader of wedding magazines, and blogs ingesting daily the latest trends, and learning from the creative industry giants that make it all look so easy. Personally, I simply adore the DIY weddings. They have that lived-in, but oh so chic feel to them that just makes my heart leap and my soul swoon. Whether a little or a whole lot, handmade touches just make the day cozier.

The name for my blog is an ode to two things: 1) To the many different components, layers, people, ideas, love, and inspiration that magically come together to create the splendor that is a wedding. 2) And my love for poetry. The line "many splendored thing" comes from a Francis Thompson poem titled,
In No Strange Land. You may remember it from a song (Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole) or perhaps from a movie starring William Holden and Jennifer Jones.

In any event, weddings just like love, are truly a many splendored thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment